Samantha Skye.: LDLW: A Song For Thought... And A Linkup! ...Sort of.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

LDLW: A Song For Thought... And A Linkup! ...Sort of.

Happy Long Distance Loving Wednesday! So I want to make this a link up. Because it would be fun, and because I spent a better part of my day trying to find other blogs that talk about LDRs. Maybe not as their main focus, but I want to get a bit of a community together. So if I have any readers, and you know someone who's in a LDR, or another blogger in a LDR, please send them my way! I want to hear from them!

So while I'm getting that all set up, let's move onto what I wanted to talk about today. I was thinking all day about what I wanted to write about for today, when I was driving home and it hit me. I forgot which radio station it was on, but one of the songs I used to listen to when I was younger came on today.



And it got me thinking: I used to listen to this song and think that I wanted a relationship like that. I grew up watching Disney movies and reading fairy tales and dreaming about this kind of thing. I didn't want to be that girl that had upteen number of boyfriends growing up, I wanted it to be like in Cinderella. Where she finds her Prince Charming, and they live happily ever after. When I was growing up and talking to my dad about boys and who I liked, he told me that I wouldn't be the kind of girl to date just anyone that came my way. He told me that I probably wouldn't have many boyfriends in my life, but the ones I would have would be significant. 

I had to be about thirteen when I first heard this song, and I knew what "making love" was, but only by definition. But I wanted to know on a personal level what it was like to be with someone that you have something special with. My first "real" boyfriend was a childhood friend, and I put everything I had into that. Because I thought that he was going to be my "Prince Charming". Wrong. And I could kind of tell when we were together. I felt like I was putting in way more than I was getting back. 



And then I met Dan. And I knew right from the second we started talking that he was going to be a very important person in my life. I just had a gut feeling. Which might have been why I kept him at arm's length for so long - because I was nervous of giving all of myself to someone again. But I did, and I have not for one moment regretted it. The first time we slept together, I finally understood what making love really meant. It was damn near magical. Some call me lame for thinking this, because I haven't had much experience, but in my twenty years of life I've learned to never doubt your gut. And my gut is telling me to stick around.

That's probably what makes being in a long distance relationship so manageable. I can cope with the distance because I know I have my Prince Charming. I feel it so deeply that there are no doubts of "is he the one?" The lonely nights, the waiting and planning out Skype dates.. It's all worth it because I know that in the long run, when we close this distance, I'll have my fairy tale. It isn't easy, but that's what separates real life from Disney movies. But it's worth it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment