Samantha Skye.: Hang It Up!

Monday, April 28, 2014

Hang It Up!

Morning everyone! Hope you guys had a good weekend. I wasn't sure if I was going to put anything up today, but I just had an experience I thought was worth sharing.

Cell phones are great, right? We can shoot messages to people, we can call people and check our social media pages right from our phones. It's pretty spiffy. But some people don't know when to stop.

So yes, this is a bit of a rant, but I'm also hoping that the people that do this take this to heart.

I work in a credit union, as a member service representative, or a glorified teller. Most of the time I work in the back in the drive thru. And just now, like she literally just pulled away, I had to deal with this lady on her cell phone.

Even though I work in a more professional place than a fast food restaurant, I'm still in customer service. I deal with members all day long, some of them on cell phones. Guys, I need to be able to talk to you. There are questions I have to ask you, plus it's expected of me to be personable with members. That includes asking them how their day is going, listening to how they have a surgery coming up, all that stuff. I can't do that if you're yacking on your cell phone.

Some people don't think it's a big deal, but it's the most annoying and irriating thing that you can possibly do. And the best part is that people get upset with me when I try to talk to them and they're on the phone. Sometimes I have to bite my tongue so I don't say something stupid like "You're the one who came in here, not me. If you want to talk, wait until you're done to come in!"

I really appreciate the people who tell the person they're on the phone with that they'll call them back in a minute, or set their phone down. The best is when they just hand me a bunch of money and don't give me a name or account number or where they want the money to go. Oh, are you giving me a tip?! How thoughtful of you! And then when I ask who they are, they get irritated with me. Sorry I forgot to bring my crystal ball into work with me today!

I'm going to stop now, because I could write about this all day long. I try not to complain too much here, this is supposed to be a positive outlet for me, but sometimes I just can't help it. And if this post helps someone realize that yacking on their cell phone while at a bank or whatever is incredibly rude, then I helped to keep someone in customer service sane. Have a great day, everyone, and always remember to be considerate!

2 comments:

  1. Cell phone rants are the best rants. I don't know what this experience feels like but I can imagine it feels like a huge waste of time. Your time, their time. All of it.

    I guess it is Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all we can all rant about those. and i personally think there should be signs at every business stating if you're on the cell phone then you wont be helped until you're off it. that includes what you do. the banks, anything really.

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/ following you. would love for you to come check me out

    ReplyDelete