Samantha Skye.: Book Review: Perfect Chemistry

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Book Review: Perfect Chemistry

Happy Saturday! First off, if you haven't noticed already, my blog has a new design! I'm basically done with it, just a couple little things here and there that I'm tweaking, and I'm also working on an About Me page (finally!).

I know I haven't posted too much about the books I've read, and I kind of suck at reviews because I love everything I read. I tend to focus more on the story and plot than how it was written. But I love gushing about books that I love way too much to never do any reviews at all, so today I'm doing that.

Last night I finished the book Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, and I really fell in love with it. I found a copy at a library book sale, and the synopsis on the back left me thinking it would be a decent read, although I didn't pick it up for a while. Here's the synopsis via Amazon.com:

"When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created "perfect" life is about to unravel before her eyes. She's forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for-her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart."

I really did enjoy it, it was fast paced and kept me interested. Some things sounded a little corny, like when Alex admires Brittany's "smokin' bod", but other than that, it was well written. It's a good YA romance, but beneath that, it's a story about bridging the gap and accepting other people for who they are. It was easy to fall in love with Alex, the poor misunderstood boy who is doing what he has to in order to protect his family. The loyalty and devotion of this guy was unbelievable. And Brittany, what she's willing to go through in order to be with the guy she loves. Not just the judgment of the "popular crowd" at their high school, but the danger of being with a "gangbanger". I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a good love story that has a side of danger and action.

There are two other books in this series, focusing on each of the Fuentes boys. I haven't read them yet, but I'll make sure to review those too when I get around to them. And I'll leave it at that - I don't want to spoil the whole book for you guys!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Nice new design!! You did this all yourself?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did :) Most of it, anyway. Dan had to help me with the background and he gave feedback but I did the rest. I took me a few days, but it was a lot of fun.

      Delete