Samantha Skye.: LDL: The Ups of A LDR

Thursday, May 1, 2014

LDL: The Ups of A LDR



May is finally here! I spent the first part of April wishing it would hurry up so I could get my butt over to Michigan, and then after I got back, I spent the rest of the month wishing it would hurry up and end so May could come because May means Dan's done with school and he's going to come back home for a little bit before he starts his internship. So I'm sorry, April, for wanting to rush right through you.

Although for the first day of May, the weather is terrible where I'm at. I won't even show you a picture, it's so bad. Overcast and rainy, ahhh hello May!

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I brushed on why LDRs royally suck, and I don't want to give anyone a wrong impression of them if you've never been in one. Believe me, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked why. Why I'm putting myself through this, why I don't just give up and date someone who lives closer to me. Why why why. I'm not saying LDRs are all rainbows and unicorns, because they aren't. LDRs are very hard and they take work; but that's not to say there aren't definite plus sides to all of this. List it up? Sure, why not!



1. LDRs help you to appreciate what you have

I have friends that take their SO for granted, and it drives me bat-shit crazy. I have to hear all about how they have to put up with this stupid thing that so-and-so does that irritates them and all I can think is "God, I would love to have to put up with that as long as it means I'm with him". I would rather be with him and be annoyed than not with him at all. It almost makes you love his "annoying" quirks. And I do, I love everything about him, even the things I hate.


 
2. It gives you something to work for

A bunch of people I know are just kind of existing. They go to work so they can pay their bills and that's it. Being in an LDR, it really gives you something to aim and work for. When I'm standing in line at the store, and I'm really being tempted by a candy bar, I'm more apt to put it down and think that it's an extra dollar that I could put towards moving out by him. It gives me a reason to get out of bed instead of hitting the snooze button and calling into work "sick".

3. You can do your own thing

What do I mean? Well, I can get stuff done without getting distracted. Does that sound bad? I hope not. If he was around, all I would want to do is spend time with him and do stuff with him and just be with him. I wouldn't get anything done besides show up for work. Maybe.
 



4. There's more than just the physical stuff
I know of couples that thrive off of the physical stuff in their relationship. In a LDR there is none of that. Thanks, Captain Obvious. But really, you learn to connect in a much deeper way. I love him for him, for who he is and what makes him him, not just his body, which I think a lot of people lack these days, especially the younger ones. He knows me, he knows exactly who I am and there's something about that that's just so powerful and awesome. He's my best friend before anything else, and that's the most important thing.

5. It's still exciting

I still feel like I'm in the honeymoon stage sometimes. We've been together for about 3 years now (on and off) and usually by this time most couples are past the giddy stage. I'm not. I still get butterflies when I'm on my way to see him. I think LDRs are great for keeping that spark alive, which is ultimately the key to keeping the relationship going.



6. The commitment is awesome

There's a certain level of commitment that comes with a long distance relationship. LDRs aren't for the weak, they aren't meant for little flings. If you're going to put all of your time and effort into making this work, you better be committed. And you have to expect the same from your SO. You two are in this together, for the long haul. You don't get into a LDR if you don't want to be together for a long time.

_____________________________



Again, there's a ton more I could list here but I won't make this too long. I hope that all of these ups outweigh the downs for you. I know they have for me. This is what I tell people when they ask me why I put myself through the struggle of a long distance relationship. There's no one else out there in the world that I want to be with. And if that means I have to spend 95% of my time away from him, then so be it. He is worth it, what we have is worth it. Whenever I'm having a rough day, that is what gets me through.

Have a great Thursday, guys. Friday is almost here!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED the communication in my ex-LDR. We'd be on our phones constantly and when we were finally together you could turn the phones off and leave them in a locked drawer for days. He was the only one I wanted to talk to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel ya! I love not having to be on my phone 24/7 when I'm with him. I normally have to charge my phone every night, but last time I was there I could go a couple of days without charging it. Loved it!

      Delete
  2. I've been in a LDR for well you might wanna say 7 months. 3 of those months we spent talking about anything and everything in a way to get to know each other. We live 50 miles away but sometimes it seems like he's on the other side of the world. We talk daily but dont see each other as often as we would want. In December we saw each other every other day if not 3 or 4 times a week. That was great but when things changed for me work wise. That meant due to my situation that things changed for me and him as well. We are both in it for the long haul and as he says it will work b/c we Love each other and have God on our side. And yes it makes you appreciate things more and be there for each other. I love just picking up the phone now and hearing about his day and even receiving a letter from him. Feels like an old fashion romance when I read that letter and realize just how much he loves and adores me. I'm the one who motivates him and he's the same for me. And I know in due time we'll have that time spent with each other. For now we got to work on a few minor things on our own parts and then its time to start a future with each other.

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/04/ramble-on.html

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/05/april-showers-bring-may-flowers.html

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/05/live-learn-link-up.html

    http://nightowlventing02.blogspot.com/2014/05/friday-faves-friday-fives-plus-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet <3 It's hard now, but I know it's all going to pay off in the end. Something we both have to keep in mind. Good luck with your man! :)

      Delete
  3. I did the whole long distance thing too for awhile, and lots of people just didn't get it, I got comments like "I could never do that!" ALL the time, but when you love someone you want to make it work! And I agree that it keeps things exciting because you don't get to spend that much time together so you really appreciate the time you do have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete